How to create a story (from my experience)

 

Muah!


This is a topic I am actually very excited to talk about! I have met so many different people in my life and honestly, have learned a lot! I just want to make this clear, the following information are things that I HAVE LEARNED, I am not professional in this field, I am still learning myself. But these are some tips I know many would like to hear. (My family, friends, and maybe the random people who exchanged instas with me). 

So without further aduuuuuu....let's begin! 

The idea: 

To come up with an idea, its not about what readers want to see or what agents want to sell (thats how you lose yourself without even starting) its about what YOU as the writer, as a reader, want to see on the shelf. If making a a story about a girl who falls and gains magical powers from her blood is something you want to see, definitely go for it! Now thats an idea! 

The best ideas are the ones that not only make other people ask you questions when you talk about it, but it makes you as the writer ask yourself questions. Because if a story is so predictable that even someone outside the writing community can see it, then somethings not right. 

Not to say there are any problems with predicability, there have been many stories in my opinion that have had many predictable outcomes, or many predictable journeys. For example "The Stolen Heir" by Holly Black, a story spin off duology based off of The Cruel Prince, Prince oak embarks on a journey to another kingdom in order to complete his goal. The idea, predictable, but it's what happens in this journey that makes it one and only. In other words, this predicability can also be known as stereotypical. 

No idea, in my opinion, is truly original. Every work is born from works you either love or admire. Your creativity and voice is what makes it original, given how far you're truly willing to go. Some people stay in a box of what is already out there, a safe space, but if you're willing to bend rules and create the unexpected, then you definitely have your work cut out for yourself. 

Outline: 

Let's be completely honest, everyone uses an outline. Whether they say "I don't use one!" the fact that you're writing your unorganized ideas in a journal or somewhere personal like your notes app, is a outline. That is where you guide yourself through your ideas, and ideally thats the whole point of an outline, a map through your personal ideas. 

People say they feel suffocated by outlines such as Stephan King who says and I quote:

 "Outlines are the last resource of bad fiction writers..." 

But for those who are just starting off, outlines are essential. They are your building blocks, your first steps as a baby in such an industry and community. Once you have your years in or your experience, then of course sit down and write like Pierce Brown when he created Red Rising. 

One thing to keep in mind is that all dramas and Soap Operas aren't just the best because of their plot, all stories have a plot of major importance because its the events previous to them that give it front and center stage. In other words, all stories have more than one problem. Not everything is resolved as quick as we want it to. If your plot is about romance, make the characters have hardships, make them argue, fight, disagree. Show their flaws. The plot is how, with so many flaws, they find a common ground and fall so deeply in love with each other. 

In "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir the plot is simple, a man with amnesia stuck in space with a desire to get back home. The setting is one, space. He doesn't have much to work with, so what made this story a work of art? The hardships, the friendship with rocky and the lessons he learned before being able to get the materials he needed to get back home. But of course, the plot twist said other wise. My point being, plan out problems, and make them just as meaningful as the plot. 

Finding your writing style: 

Something I learned very recent is the importance of your writing style and figuring out which one is for you. If you're having trouble with this, I believe this might help you give you that push in the right direction. It took me a while to figure it out, and I'm sure it's the same for others. 

When I wrote my stories, I always practiced using first person. It's what you saw mostly on shelves! Back when I was younger, in Barnes and Nobles, the most famous authors were those who published in first person, in which I learned years later, that is not the case. 

First person isn't impossible for me to write in, but it definitely wouldn't be my best work. I don't know why! The words don't flow as eloquently as I would want them when it comes to third person. For example, I'll use a sentence from my own manuscript. 

I take a cupcake from my batch and carefully raised it to his level. Instead of taking it, he catches my wrist and guides me to his mouth. His thumb gently smoothy the skin beneath it and his eyes firm on mine as he takes one slow bite. I gulp as he retreats and nods his head. "Not bad." 


Some might look at this and say it's good. But what if I rewrote this in third person?


Fatima carefully lifted a cupcake from the batch, working her fingers to the sides of the tray as to not drop it. Her hands quivered as they met Alfred eye level. Instead of taking the cupcake into his hands, he caught her wrist, her shoulders jumped in surprise. He guided her hands closer to his mouth where his lips met the frosting. One slow bite is all it took to make Fatima's heart skip a beat. As he retreated, she gulped down her nervousness. Alfred nodded slowly, a smile growing as he said "Not bad." 


Can you see that difference?! It's wonderful once you discover what makes the words flow like water. Because thats how it should be. The style that suits you best will have you writing words you didn't even know existed in your memory bank! 

Let's talk characters! 


When it comes to your main characters, it is obvious that they are supposed to start off flawed, with a goal and weakness. But something I learned when I partook in a screen writing class for film and television, was from a student who was presenting her script. Her story itself was pretty good, you could say it was a slice of life, but what made her character interesting in my eyes was one thing. Her character always wore cow girl boots, and on the soles of her boots she would write little affirmations. A simple thing. Something so small, you would think nothing of it. But it my eyes...it was beautiful. Why? Because it made her character more human. More relatable. 

We all have little tricks or quirks that we play around with, but when you incorporate that into your story, you are bringing to life a character who is not only flawed but who is human. When writing, we all fall into the same stereotype, she's angry, she's a man-hater, or he's quiet, he's shy, he's obsessed. But what about their hobbies? What is something so small, like cracking a certain knuckle, or fidgeting with necklace, that they do? I remembering leaving that class in awe, checking my characters to see if they were just as human as hers. 

Remember that what makes the most memorable character isn't just a character who goes through depression, losses, or heartbreak...its a character who will leave an impact on your reader because of how relatable he/she is. There is a reason comedian characters are always the ones who die first, because their death will truly break others. With she or he we lose the realness the story needed. That character who grounds everybody and reminds them theres a little more to life than the problems that exist or it could be contrary depending on how your character is! Either way, it is a grounding character not only for his fellow comrades but for the readers as well. 

What I'm about to say is a very personal thought, so thats just a heads up! But I believe that characters who use very gen-z language aren't that attractive. I could be wrong, maybe I haven't met the right characters! But for now, my opinion stands. Just how in films we see some characters say "It's giving...!" or other dialogues closely relative to that, you can just tell that the director is trying to aim for a certain audience thinking that they are relating to them, but in reality it just feels like your mother saying something your friend would say but she would never come close to saying. If that makes sense. We try so hard to make our characters relatable in their dialogue to the point where it just, unfortunately (again my opinion!) becomes cringe. 

I feel as though writing stories will always be an escape. People live different lives through your characters. Why would they want to return to something that comes close to what they are running from? I certainly want to run from the brain rot that infiltrates the newer generations of our time, I hope I don't come close to finding something even slightly related to that world...in a book. 

But then again, I am not here to discourage you. If you feel as though your writing is something that can inspire others by using their dialogue, or their habits of speaking then by all means, go right ahead! Just make sure you are aiming for yourself, your story, and not the market. 

Now it's time to write! 


When you write that first chapter, making sure that opening sentence is a banger, is very important. If you need some references, here is a list of openings from books that I have read in the past: 

  1. "In Faerie, there are no fish sticks, no ketchup, no television." - The Cruel Prince by Holly Black.
  2. "I've been locked up for 264 days." - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi 
  3. "As the prison doors slam shut behind me, I question every decision I've ever made in my life." - The Inmate by Freida McFadden
  4. "I hear the crack of his skull before the spattering of blood reaches me." - Verity by Colleen Hoover 
  5. "Conscription Day is always the deadliest. Maybe that's why the sunrise is especially beautiful this morning-because I know it might be my last." - Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros 
  6. "I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war." - Red Rising by Pierce Brown 
Believe it or not, that first sentence (apart from the cover) will make or break your audience! Not your story! Unfortunately, as much as a good first sentence you may believe you have, your audience or potential readers might look at it and simply, put it down. That first sentence, in gen-z terms, needs to have aura. It needs to attract almost instantly. This is something I learned from my English professor when he helped me edit my college portfolio. Since he is a published author himself, Oloye Karade, he made me realize that my writing still had room to grow! But that the potential was there. 

When can you show not tell? This is a question I've struggled with a lot. Something that helped me personally was a piece of advice that Neil Gaiman, the author of Coraline and many other fantasy books, gave during one of his master class videos. Unicorns, are something that doesn't exist in our world, this is something he makes known to his viewers. Gaiman explains that even though these creatures are nonexistent, if he needs to write about killing one of them, he won't tell you "it died!" He'll describe it to you. And he'll break your heart while doing so. 

Detail's are very important but knowing when to give more or less of it, is the struggling part. Something I learned is to never underestimate your readers. If you made something clear from the start, then your reader have the context they need to continue, never believe them to be stupid or else you'll end up repeating the same information over and over again. Next thing you know, you have unnecessary information for your story. 

When it comes to the outline, remember that it is just a guide. That outline is not supposed to keep you closed or cuff your freedom from going crazy. Things might change. Characters may disappear and you didn't even plan it out. Do what you feel is best for your story because at the end of the day, writing is another way to express who you are. If you don't change for others, don't change your story to fit others expectations. As much of a chaos that it might be, there are people out there who love that chaos, love the struggle and they are thriving for it. 


These are just some things that I can come up with at the top of my head. If there are question's you may have, I have no problem answering them! Then again, I am just a writer myself, I have a lot to learn as well as all of you! 


















Comments