Rodrick Heffley x Regina George?!
Thats right girlies! Right off the bat, Fighting Dirty gave me those exact vibes and lets be honest here...I'm living for it!!!
I'm not one to create a slice of life or close to real life story, unless theres something dark or magical behind it. Can you blame me? I'm escaping reality here, hellooooo!
Anyways, that doesn't mean I'm against watching it. Usually when it comes to fighting scenes, personally I like a good fighting scene. One where the director knows exactly what he or she is doing and gives the story the spice it needs. It may be the film student talking, but I can tell when a punch looks fake or when the want to fight is projected through the actor. Nonetheless, this reel-like series, made their fighting scenes worth gold! I was in love with the way Clay trained for his final battle, we don't see much of it now a days and it even gives the audience that motivation to work out with him...I don't know, I guess he just has aura.
At the beginning I will admit, did I find it a bit cringe? Absolutely. The way Clay pinned Kenzie against those lockers and we got tension right off the bat, I can SEE the novel writing come from the screen. I swear she looked at him long enough for me to finish a page...But either way, I do believe that the tension was given way too fast, especially for a first episode. But because they're reels and the main point is to build an audience, I won't hold it against them.
Something I did find interesting, (and I did speak about this in one of my past posts) is the authenticity Kenzie gave with her humor. You don't see much of it on screen when it comes to other movies or series but with her, I found myself relating to her! Unfortunately, I am a bully when it comes to my humor and I love every bit of it.
And let's not talk about that hiding-Clay-under-the-table scene. For someone who was holding back from even touching Kenzie, Clay made it pretty obvious he didn't want to cross some limits. And I loved that! (Even though his head was in middle of her thighs...we can thank her I-suddenly-came-home-father) What actually really attracted me to this character was the silly little quirk where he undid her bow lace by pulling on the strand as he hid from her father. In just a few seconds, believe it or not, that says a lot about a character!
Either way, the ending was satisfying and I can see why Kenzie was being called a female dog, I thought she was one too...especially after the break up.
And just to make it clear, the fact that they used "Good boy" and he was actually barking at some point, I need to study how that screenwriter input that WITHOUT making it cringe! It felt like two teenagers being what? Teenagers. And the humor combined with Kenzie's wittiness, made it even better. I know some people could be surprised, I'm not, but I laughed at those moment and even found myself loving them.
Last but not least, the obsession. When I watch any romance scene, I don't get butterflies. Try to convince me, it won't be possible. (I lost those with my exes) But when I saw those intimate moments, especially when Clay got on his knees...I believe my type changed completely. Now that is how you write an obsessive bad boy who does illegal boxing matches for a living.
As someone who has written a novel with a bad boy, I feel like I still have a lot to learn, especially after finding Clay Barton.
Would I recommend this series? Absolutely, that shouldn't even be a question. 10/10 would watch again, probably tonight...but I would have never believed that a reel from Tik Tok had me watching almost an hour long reel of a movie. Truly, the watch of the summer.
Comments
Post a Comment